Friday, June 11, 2010

What was your favourite childhood toy?

Recently there was an email going around, sent from friend to friend, which listed all sorts of interesting questions that each person would fill in then pass on to the next person; things that you might not know about your friends - maybe things you shouldn't know about your friends. Questions in the list would be things like "What was your favourite tv show?", "What did you have for breakfast today?", "What did you want to be when you grew up?". The question that I had to really think about was, "What was your favourite childhood toy?". I remembered all the games I used to play...Monopoly (hated it), cards, checkers, barbies (omg, what do I wear today??), Planet of the Apes dolls (ok maybe I don't want my friends to know that one), but then I remembered some toys I played with that I loved so much I still have them...they were in the archives at grandma's house. I brought them home to the farm where they should be. The funny thing about these toys is I never gave them up, even when I got older.

Marvel the mustang - one of my first horsie loves after the grocery store pony and the merry-go-round. You could bounce up and down on him and he travelled along. Our driveway sloped downward toward the end so you got a really good ride. Unfortunately he was a bit small and I outgrew him quickly, so before his poor little legs got squashed right to the ground, I retired him to the backyard and fed him grass alot.

And a magical thing happened, all that grass must have worked because here he is today; we're both all grown up!

Fisher Price Pull Chicken has seen alot of mileage in his lifetime and still makes that great life-like chicken sound when you pull him along. His paint may be peeling and some of his joints are a bit loose, but hey, after 44 years, whose aren't?

Today there are five hens that live here and one suspiciously looks alot like old Fisher Price henny.

So besides the Barbie Corvette which I never got...not practical for lugging hay around and I think it was my spoiled little sister who had it anyway, there was one more toy which has a special place in my heart....Eeyore the donkey hand puppet. I love Eeyore mostly because he's adorable but we also share alot of personality traits. I've smuggled him here and he lives in our bedroom on a shelf near Tom's side of the bed (I don't think it's creeping him out, he hasn't mentioned it - maybe he hasn't noticed yet). Although I don't own a donkey yet, the people who run the local donkey rescue are having an open house...... Hey Tom, I know what we can do this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment